Curling Club History

In the beginning, it all began with a few local men who had a mutual interest in curling. The interest grew until it reached a point that warranted some action.

During that year, (1950) the thoughts were towards an annex to the golf club with natural ice. As discussions continued, this was not going to work.


In the meantime, a small group of enthusiasts were curling at Ste-Anne, still endeavouring to get a club started in Hudson. They continued to have meetings, picking up support, financially and otherwise, constantly promoting this club idea to everyone and anyone who would listen. Their endeavour was constant, chocking on properties, the type of building that could be financed, etc. Financial commitments were made, many meetings were held and they were ready to bring in an architect as a site had been found. Mr. A.C. Woods was the architect for this building, actually a modest structure with 2 sheets of ice.

On April 9th, 1952, the Hudson Curling Club Inc. became a reality and the first open meeting was held June 20th, 1952 to create wider interest and raise funds. As of then,104 members had been signed, including 40 ladies.

Plans and location for the building were presented at this meeting, as well as financing, and the location in central Hudson. This meeting was a success so it was full steam ahead and the club was well under way from then on until the opening.

On January 24th, 1953 an informal opening was held with Rev. J.A. Mowatt, a veteran curler, delivering the first stone to Rev. E.C. Royle and Father Cloutier. A truly community effort, a real party and Hudson was hooked on curling.

Dr. Ralph Edmison was a driving force in getting this club started and had finally seen his dreams realized, in all his efforts and many others. At this opening, Dr. Edmison stated this community effort was to be shared by both races and all creeds, just what the game of curling is all about.

There were now approximately 260 members.

The building of the first club in 1952 was thoroughly a community effort and everyone pitched in with donated material and labour. B.W. Roberts acquired club car chairs from the railway, cost of the ceiling and floor was donated, as well as the fireplace.

A besom (broom) which Mabel Nelson’s grandfather had used when curling in Scotland along with curling irons was also donated and added atmosphere to the lounge.

Curling scheduled to begin in Hudson in January, officially started 2 weeks later, on Feb 15 1953 and grew to see great successes such as those in 1962 when the club won three major provincial championships; The Royal Victoria Jubilee, the Lady Gilmour, and the Governor General’s Trophy.

At the official opening on February 14th, 1953, there were officials from 25 curling clubs present, as well as Mr. Rene Beaudoin, speaker of the House of Commons. It was a dinner and evening of curling, great fun and a terrific job.

The club went on to win trophies such as the Braemar, the Edingburg, The Prov. Legion in 1958, the Balmoral, the Coronation, the Jubilee, the Elgin, the Governor General, and the Lady Gilmour.

Many new members had been recruited and the total number of curlers was outgrowing the facilities.
Although the old clubhouse was greatly extended (two sheets of ice), it nevertheless became too small for the growing number of curling enthusiasts and related social activities.

A large percentage of the curling members were also members of Whitlock Golf Club, established in 1912 and built on property purchased from the Whitlock family, that was also badly in need of a new clubhouse. This was like going back in time as in the very beginning, thoughts had been given to combining the 2 clubs. As this was going to be a very big undertaking every angle was gone into, golfers and curlers had to agree, which is not always easy, so plans were drawn up and discarded. Those who had been members in our club from the early years were reluctant to see it go. The building up, the pot luck suppers, the successes and most of all the warmth of all being part of this achievement. However, with all this nostalgia, we were looking forward to the four sheet ice surface and greater achievements. Peter Acres, architect, finally came up with plans and a gorgeous spot on the Golf Club grounds for this building that seem to satisfy everyone.

In 1963 the directors of both clubs met and agreed to amalgamate. The Amalgamation Agreement between the Hudson Curling Club and the Whitlock Golf & Country Club was executed in April of 1964. In that agreement, WGCC, agreed to admit all of the Curling members in good standing, as voting members with rights and privileges to everything but the golf course. In exchange for this privilege, the Hudson Curling Club transferred and conveyed all of its assets and liabilities in Hudson to WGCC. While the actual dates are not clear (in some old members’ minds) within a short time the old 2-sheet facility was sold to the Royal Canadian Legion, without any caveat prohibiting rehabilitation of the curling rink

The old Hudson Curling Club building was sold to the Hudson Legion. Within a very short period of time, some Legion members decided to again start their own curling club and the 2-sheet facility exists today as the Hudson Legion Curling Club.

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events

Follow Us

Contact Info

56 Beach Road,
Québec, Canada, J0P1H0

E-Mail Us

Phone: (450) 458-4882

© 2024 Hudson Legion Curling Club. All Rights Reserved. | Curling Club Management System and Website by